Anxiety

 



Lungs too heavy to breath, heart racing, hands shaking, all while you mind is racing with the thoughts, "When will this ever end?" Stomach turning, body sweating, "What is wrong with my body? Am I going to die? I can't catch a breath....I can't breath."

Anxiety, panic attacks...unfortunately a normal part of a lot of people's everyday lives, but it does not have to have the power to take control of your life and tell you, you are messed up because your body reacts the way it does. It can a part of you without being you.

I have always been a person who thinks too much and when you add that with stress it does not mix well. I started getting anxiety in elementary school because of bullying and stress and I have had it ever since. I got my first four panic attacks this past year and the first time I had it, I thought I was going to die. Knowing what to expect, now helps me to recognize it quicker and deal with it so it does not get out of control. But really, there is only one thing that actually helps me get through my anxiety, and that is God.

Praying through a panic attack or whenever I feel my anxiety creeping in, has really helped with dealing with it. As humans, we are too weak on our own to try and handle this and so giving our anxiety and worries to God will help take that pressure off and we can allow God to carry those burdens for us. That is what He promises to do for us, carry our burdens so we do not have to, but only if we surrender it to Him and let go of our release on them. Instead of trying to ignore the anxiety, or allowing it to take over every thought you have, you can instead recognize it, and tell yourself that this is only a small part of you that is normal for so many people, and it is okay to not be okay, and with the help of people around you who you trust and God, you can take control of it and tell Satan to back off whenever he tries to creep the anxiety back in.

 I understand what it feels like to feel out of control and swallowed up by anxiety, but I also know what it feels like to gain control over it and it is so freeing! God can help you gain control over your anxiety, but only if you are willing to take His hand and accept His offer to help.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Land

A Mustard Seed Faith

Nicaragua, a trip of a lifetime - Week 2